Thursday, August 13, 2009

Music: and Dance


I know I tend to be in the minority here, but when I'm listening to music, I rarely pay attention to the lyrics. I may learn some of them (or what they sound like to me) so I can sing along. By and large though, they just aren't important to me. Music, however, is.

I love singing along with music when I'm mowing the lawn or driving or working in my office. I'm not very good. I'm not being falsely modest, either. I have my moments and some songs I can actually sing on key, but I'm no musician. But I do it and I enjoy it because singing reminds me of the Great Dance we're all part of all the time. Stay with me and get your mind blown.

The earth rotates one full revolution in a day, right? (Duh) Well, in order to do that we're rotating on an axis at roughly 1,000mph. OK, But the Earth is also orbiting the sun at a rate of somewhere in the neighborhood of 66,000mph! Now our solar system is moving toward the general region of the star Vega at around 43,000mph (relative to our galactic neighbors). Our entire Galaxy is rotating on an axis (just like the earth does) and our sun has to move at about 483,000mph to make stay on course. Keep in mind that the galaxy is moving toward the constellation Virgo (represent!) at a rate estimated at 1.3 million mph!

Now think of our poor moon revolving and orbiting around the earth, the other planets in our solar system and all of their moons, not to mention the innumerable stars with planets who have moons. All of this movement and motion, all balanced by inertia & gravity. I can picture some of it in my head like those cursed tea cups at carnivals and theme parks. Spinning, rotating, revolving. I add more and more levels in my head and look from 100ft. up. It's a dance.

All this light and darkness, birth and death in a beautiful dance that carries us all away at a thousand miles per second. So I listen to the music and I sing and I'm carried away in the Great Dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment